Consider this simple 2 router topology and let's get started.
Next let's define the crypto map, session keys etc. and apply it to the interface.
- Define the transform set - encryption protocol des and authentication protocol hmac-sha
- Define the crypto map and set it to ipsec-manual
- Set the inbound session keys and outbound session keys
- Match the "interesting" traffic. In this case it will be ICMP between the 2 routers which we will define next
- Define the "interesting" traffic ACL
- Apply it to the interface
Now at this point we should be able to ping across and the ICMP packets should be encrypted.
We have successfully created a static ipsec-manual VPN between the 2 end points.
Let's move on to Part 2